Did you know that late summer (into fall) is the best time to cut and dry herbs in preparation for winter projects? Did you also know that fall is a good time to plant perennials including herbs and bulbs in order to establish strong root systems? This includes milkweeds, a group of plants Monarch butterflies depend upon for their survival. Why not make this season a time to prepare for a flavorful winter and nature-inspired spring? Our 2016 fall and winter class schedule is full of exciting and simple ways to add flavor and scent to your life. We have herbal projects for all skill levels; from the beginner to the herbal expert. Participants will learn how to harvest and store herbs, how to cook flavorful comfort foods with herbs and even how to use herbs to add aroma to the winter home. We will also be offering garden celebrations and free informative workshops to help save the Monarch butterflies. In addition, our shop features hand-made herbal soaps, therapeutic herbal pillows, herb & milkweed plants, gifts, flavors from the garden and more. If you are interested in attending a workshop, feel free to post a message below or call or text 217-248-1508 for more information. We would be happy to mail (or e-mail) our schedule to you. Class size is limited so register for a workshop (or two) today and discover for yourself that herbs really are one of Life’s Simple Pleasures!
– Saturday, September 3rd, 2:00 pm, Happy Birthday, Garden Party!! Help Penny celebrate her birthday in the garden. This herbal celebration will be held in the Wildlife Habitat Gardens at 1482 Turkey Farm Road and will feature an herbal cake, herbal chocolate candies and floats. What better way to celebrate another year than in the garden?**$5.00
-Saturday, September 10th, 2:00 pm, Fall Housekeeping with Herbs. Participants of this class will have the opportunity to create a decorative moth-repellent bag. In addition, we will experiment with various essential oils and herbs and learn how they can help clean (without chemicals) and keep the varmints away. This workshop is a must for anyone who struggles with keeping out mice and bugs in the winter or who wants to ‘go green’ with cleaning! *** $10.00
– Saturday, September 17th, 2:00 pm, Harvesting the Perfect Blend. The fall harvest will be in full swing and herbs can be dried to create a warming tea blend for enjoying during the long winter months. Participants of this workshop will learn how to harvest, dry and blend herbs for making tea. Each participant will create their own unique tea blend and will experiment with different methods of infusing the herbs for the perfect flavor combination.**** $10.00
– Saturday, September 24th, 2:00 pm, Fall Planting for Butterflies. Did you know that the best time to plant perennials (including milkweeds) is in the fall? Join us as we outline what plants can be planted in the fall to help increase the butterfly populations. This workshop will also include free milkweed seeds and plants as well as information on several projects to help the Monarch population. ******FREE
-Wednesday, September 28th, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, Starting a Hydrangea bush. Learn how easy it is to start a Hydrangea (from a stem cutting) and to create decorations with your very own Hydrangea blooms. *$5.00
-Saturday, October 1st, 2:00 pm, Creating a Fall Decoration with Herbs. Participants of this workshop will have the opportunity to create their own fall harvest wall or door decoration from herbs and dried botanicals. Be the talk of your neighborhood with a unique door or wall decoration created with your own two hands! ** $15.00
-Saturday, October 8th, 2:00 pm, Flavoring with Bouquet Garni Herbs. This workshop is a great introduction to harnessing the flavor of herbs. Particpants will be introduced to the traditional method of using a bouquet garni bouquet for flavoring favorite dishes. Each participant will have the opportunity to create their own flavorful bouquet garni wreath or swag and recipes will be provided. *** $10.00
– Wednesday, October 12th, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm, Comfort Desserts with Herbs. This workshop will feature several different ‘sweet’ herbs and participants will have the opportunity to taste dishes created with each one. We will also introduce Stevia and will share ways to make this natural sweetener a part of the daily diet. Participants will have the opportunity to experiment with the herbs and create their own sweet sauce!****** *** $10.00
– Saturday, October 22nd, 2:00 pm, Herbal Comfort Foods Cooked Slow. Who says great flavor has to be difficult to obtain? This workshop will show participants just how easy it is to use herbs to add fabulous flavor to even the toughest cut of meat. By focusing on several ‘comfort’ dishes and coordinating herbs, participants will each discover how much flavor can be obtained from the herb garden. $10.00
-Saturday, October 29th, 2:00 pm, Halloween Herbs and Spooky Treats. Ever wonder if any herbs are associated with Halloween? This workshop will provide the answer to that question and more. Participants will also have the opportunity to create their own spooky treats flavored with herbs. Thes e treats will be perfect to share with little ghosts and goblins who visit! ***** $10.00
-Saturday, November 5th, 11:00 am to 5:00 pm, Holiday Open House. Join us as we celebrate our fist year in business and the beginning of the holiday season. This special event will feature several different herbal desserts and drinks, discounts on your favorite herbal items, herbal wreathes, decorations and more. Just in time for the holidays. Herbs really do make perfect gifts for those who seem to have everything. Don’t miss it!** FREE
-Wednesday, November 9th, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm and Saturday, November 12th, 2:00 pm, Creating an Herbal Christmas Wreath. The tradition and meaning of herbs dates back for centuries. What better way to celebrate the special meaning of Christmas than with a wreath made from herbs appropriate to the season? Participants of this workshop will each create their own wreath with herbs and accents of Christmas. In addition, the special meaning of each herb will be shared and remembered. *****$15.00
-Friday, November 11th, Veterans’ Day. We will honor Veterans’ (& seniors) in 2 local nursing homes by donating cookie trays made from herbs to each home. Assistance with baking is welcome.
-Saturday, November 19th, 2:00 pm, Aromatherapy for the Home. During the winter, the time spent in a typical home increases greatly. At times, the heated air can become stale and dry. Aromatherapy can change the conditions inside your home as well as with your spirit and body. This workshop will focus on aromatherapy for the home. Participants will be introduced to essential oils and herbs via diffusers, potpourri, pillows and candles. Each participant will create their own soy candle and will choose an essential oil to coordinate with it. *********** * $15.00
– Saturday, November 26th, 2:00 pm, Herbal Vinegar for the Holidays. Simplify your menus and add tons of flavor at the same time. Participants of this workshop will be introduced to simple ways to use herbal vinegar to flavor holiday (and everyday) dishes. Participants will each create their own herbal vinegar designed specifically for holiday dishes. Once you try it for yourself, you will wonder how you ever flavored dishes without adding herbal vinegar!*** $15.00
-Saturday, December 10th, 2:00 pm, Surviving the Holidays with Herbs (& Lavender). The Christmas holiday season can be very stressful. Most people (especially women) survive the holidays but do not enjoy them. Did you know that it is possible to slow down and nurture yourself even during the busiest season of the year? This workshop will introduce herbal ideas and techniques to help you to relax and decrease your holiday stress and each participant will create their very own lavender relaxation pillow. * ***** $10.00
Please Note: Your check/payment reserves your seat for our workshops. Payment can be made at time of workshop if arrangements are made in advance. If cancellation occurs, we will gladly refund your payment, give you a kit to make the item, or if it’s a demonstration, all of the handouts. A substitute can also be sent to fill your seat if arranged with management in advance.
* Workshops will be held at our herb shop located at 1486 Turkey Farm Road, Bluffs, Illinois unless otherwise specified. Maps will be provided at time of registration if desired. Directions are also available on our Facebook page.
* Each workshop will last for approximately 1 to 1 1/2hours.
* Space is limited so sign up as early as possible.
* Weather-related cancellations will be posted on The Simple Heart of Life’s Facebook page on the day of the workshops. If in doubt about cancellation, feel free to call 217-248-1508. We will re-schedule cancelled workshops at a later date if at all possible.
* Advance registration is not necessary for special events and celebrations but refreshments and favors will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
*All skill levels are welcome. Our workshops are designed for everyone who has a desire to enjoy herbs and gardening!
* Join our mailing list (USPS or e-mail) for herbal tips, recipes, inspiration and up-to-date information about herb shop happenings. Just ask to be included. It’s free!
* Note several of the workshops will be held on Wednesday evenings, 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. We are offering these evening classes to better accommodate participant schedules. If you have any questions about the workshops, feel free to call us!