Did you know that herbs have been used (and depended upon) for centuries for flavor, health and home sanitation? Our ancestors utilized a ‘kitchen garden’ of herbs outside their door for adding flavor to their basic menus and knew the value of herbs for keeping their family and home healthy. Why not discover how to unlock the wonders of these ancient plants with us this summer? Our 2017 summer workshop schedule is full of exciting and innovative herbal ideas. We have herbal projects for all skill levels; from the beginner to the herbal expert. Participants will learn how to cook with herbs adding flavor that will stand up to the high heat of grilling, how to create beautiful gifts to impress the June bride and groom, and even how to utilize the properties of herbs to outwit the most relentless pests. Class size is limited so register for a workshop (or two) today and discover for yourself that herbs really are one of Life’s Simple Pleasures! Just post a message for details on how to register or for a copy of our workshop schedule.
-Saturday, June 3rd, 10:00 am-5:00 pm, Road Trip to Mari-Mann Herbs in Decatur. This is a rescheduled bus trip. Join us as we journey to one of central Illinois’ premiere herb shops. Mari-Mann Herb Company has received rave reviews for offering everything herbal. Visitors can tour the gardens and shop at their natural food and supplement shop. A perfect road trip for every herb lover! $5.00 (for transportation) * Ask us about money-saving coupons!
-Wednesday, June 7th, 6:00 pm-7:30 pm, Pollinator Plants. Learn how easy it is to plant easy-to-care-for native plants in your yard so the pollinators in your neighborhood will return. This FREE class will focus on those plants that will thrive in central Illinois. We will also provide a tour of our Monarch Way Station gardens and will outline simple techniques so that you, too, can help save our pollinators.
– Saturday, June 10th, 2:00 pm, Bug OFF! The pesky bugs will soon be out and trying to make outdoor activities miserable. This priceless workshop will provide answers so you and your family can enjoy Spring, Summer and Fall outside activities without using nasty chemicals. Participants will each create a spray for the Buffalo Gnats, a tikki-type mosquito candle and will discover the potency of pure (DoTerra) essential oils. If you have ever wondered about the effectiveness of using oil-based repellents, then this is the workshop for you! $15.00
– Saturday, June 17th, 2:00 pm, Flavors for the Grill Master. Father’s Day is June 18th and Dads are notorious for their love of grilling out. Why not ‘gift’ Dad flavor ideas that will blow him away? This class will introduce participants to herbs and spices that can be combined to create flavorful sauces, mixes and even marinades. Of course taste-testing is part of the fun and everyone will receive a grilling kit to take home. $15.00
-Saturday, June 24th, 2:00 pm, ‘Love’ly Everlastings. June is a favorite month for weddings and romantic vacations. Why not create a unique one-of-a kind heart wreath gift from herbs and flowers that represents the occasion? Participants of this special workshop will each create their own heart wreath by choosing herbs and flowers that honor the sentiments of the Language of Herbs. A beautiful gift that is sure to be appreciated! $15.00
-Saturday, July 8th, 2:00 pm, Girls Night Out! Ever wonder whether herbs and spices can be used to create unique beverages for those nights of celebration? Participants of this workshop will experiment with creating their own flavored wine and spirits. (Non-alcoholic versions will be provided for those who do not imbibe). We will also create a salty snack to help with the inevitable ‘munchies’. $15.00
– Wednesday, July 12th, 6:00 pm- 7:30 pm, Organic Herbs for Outdoor Living Spaces. Did you know that various herbs and plants can help to keep your outdoor patio area (virtually) free of mosquitoes, flies, ants and other pests? Participants will discover for themselves how easy it is to plant and use herbs that will do the work of repelling pests year after year. Garden plan ideas and a starter herb will be provided to each. $10.00
– Saturday, July 15th, 2:00 pm, The Secrets of Lavender. Lavender is renowned the world over for its healing powers and fabulous scent. It is, however, also one of the herbs that many people find difficult to grow. This workshop will provide the answers so that anyone can have success growing this favorite herb. Participants will also each create their own lavender lip and body balm to take home. $15.00
-Saturday, July 22nd, 2:00 pm, Hot (and not-so-hot) Peppers. What is summer without outdoor cooking and the flavor of spicy, hot peppers? This workshop will explain just how the heat of peppers are rated. Participants will have a chance to experiment with several different types of peppers and will create their own salsa and unique spice blend $10.00
– Saturday, July 29th, 2:00 pm, Eliminating the Funk. As the weather heats up and activity levels increase, the amount of funky odors in our homes (and on our bodies) are more noticeable. Did you know that several herbs and essential oils can help to improve this problem without the use of chemicals? Participants of this workshop will discover how easy it is to create natural odor removers and will each create a kit designed for the man of the house. Essential oil diffusers will also be introduced. $10.00
-Saturday, August 5th, 2:00 pm, End-of-Summer Herb Harvests. The month of August is prime time for harvesting herbs and is a favorite time of the year for basil aficionados. This workshop will focus on those annuals (like basil) that are usually available for one season only. Participants will learn how to harvest and hang the herbs effectively and will experiment with different methods of preservation including the making of basil pesto and herbal infused vinegar. $15.00
– Saturday, August 12th, 2:00 pm, Gregarious Garlic. Did you know that garlic can be grown in your own back yard? Did you also know that garlic can help keep your other garden veggies disease and pest-free? This workshop will focus on growing and using different types of garlic. Participants will discover how roasting garlic will improve the flavor of dishes, how eating garlic is good for the body (and soul) and even how to dry and preserve the garlic harvest. Garlic samples will be provided. $10.00
– August 14th-19th, Vacation. Our herb shop will be closed during this time. We hope to visit The Butterfly House in Chesterfield, Missouri 🙂 We will re-open for a workshop on the evening of Wednesday, August 23rd at 6:00 pm.
– Wednesday, August 23rd, 6:00 pm-7:30 pm, The Return Migration of the Monarch Butterfly. Monarch butterflies typically begin their return migration (to warmer climates) during the middle of August. This FREE workshop will focus on how the average gardener can help to provide nectar for the long journey. We will also share an update on the number of 2017 Monarchs per Monarch Watch and other web sites & how you can join the cause.
Please Note: Your check/payment reserves your seat for our workshops. Payment can be made at time of workshop if arrangements are made in advance. If cancellation occurs, we will gladly refund your payment, give you a kit to make the item, or if it’s a demonstration, all of the handouts. A substitute can also be sent to fill your seat if arranged with management in advance.
* All supplies are included with the workshop fees.
* Workshops will be held at our herb shop located at 1486 Turkey Farm Road, Bluffs, Illinois unless otherwise specified. Maps will be provided at time of registration if desired.
* Each workshop will last for approximately 1 -1 1/2hours. Dress casually please.
* Space is limited so sign up as early as possible.
* Herbal-themed refreshments will be served at each workshop. Please notify us in advance if you have specific diet needs.
* Weather-related cancellations will be posted on The Simple Heart of Life’s Facebook page on the day of the workshops. If in doubt about cancellation, feel free to call 217-248-1508. We will re-schedule canceled workshops at a later date if at all possible.
* Advance registration is not necessary for special celebrations but refreshments and favors will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis.
* Note several of the workshops will be held on Wednesday evenings, 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm. We are offering these evening classes to better accommodate participant schedules. If you have any questions about the workshops, feel free to call us!
* Join our mailing list (USPS or e-mail) for herbal tips, recipes, inspiration and up-to-date information about herb shop happenings. Just ask to be included. It’s free!
* Check out our blog at http://www.thesimpleheartoflife.wordpress.com or our Facebook page for inspiration and to get in contact with other herb & garden enthusiasts.